Honors and Awards
Attorney Sylvester has been selected as a New England Super Lawyer for twenty consecutive years since 2007, when New England Super Lawyers® magazine listed him as one of the Top 100 trial lawyers in New England following a multi-step nomination process, which included peer and independent evaluations. Among the factors considered were verdicts, settlements, experience, honors and awards. Alan was one of only 3 Vermont attorneys listed, and the only one who has spent the last 4 decades concentrating his practice on representing injured victims.
Best Lawyers in America®, the oldest and most respected peer-review publication in the legal profession, has named Alan:
Lawyer of the Year 2012 – Medical Malpractice Law, Burlington, Vermont
Lawyer of the Year 2011 – Personal Injury Litigation, Burlington, Vermont
Alan is one of only 500 lawyers in the United States, and the only one in Vermont, listed every year in Best Lawyers in America® since its first publication in 1983.
Alan has been a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers since 1982. The College is comprised of the best of the trial bar from the United States and Canada, and is widely considered to be the preeminent professional trial organization in North America.
Alan has been recognized by his peers as one of the top personal injury trial lawyers in Vermont for 40 years.
Alan has maintained the highest rating of AV Preeminent in the nationally recognized peer review publication Martindale-Hubbell since 1979.
He has served as President of the Vermont Association for Justice (formerly Vermont Trial Lawyer’s Association), and as a member of its Board of Governors.
Alan has represented several clients in cases of national significance, and has extensive experience in handling complex, serious personal injury cases. He has been successful in recovering by jury verdict and settlement sums ranging between $1 million and $5,400,000 for his clients on 20 occasions.
Areas of Practice
Motor Vehicle/Truck/Pedestrian/Bicycle Accidents
A Sampling of Some of Alan’s More Notable Cases Is As Follows:
- $1,650,000 – Recovered in 2018, 2017, 2016 for personal injuries caused by the negligence of another.
- $5,400,000 – Recovery for wrongful death caused by the negligent operation of a motor vehicle.
- $4,925,000 – Recovery in a single car accident against the driver and liquor server.
- $4,850,000 – Recovery in wrongful deaths claims against the operator of a motor vehicle driving at excessive speeds.
- $2,800,000 – Recovery for wrongful deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
- $2,500,000 – Recovery for wrongful deaths in a recreational boating accident.
- $2,500,000 – United States Federal District Court Jury verdict in a wrongful death case against a trucking company. This verdict was reportedly the highest wrongful death verdict ever obtained in the State of Vermont.
- $2,000,000 – Recovery for a birth injury against an obstetrician, pediatrician and hospital for negligent care and treatment before, during and after birth.
- $1,800,000 – Recovery for wrongful death against the manufacturer of an automobile, supplier of parts, and the operator of a motor vehicle.
- $1,750,000 – Recovery for failure to warn of the dangers of diving into the deep end of an in-ground pool that had the appearance of being safe.
- $1,500,000 – Recovery for ski area negligence in not keeping its premises reasonably safe.
- $1,500,000 – State Court Jury verdict for injuries caused by the negligent maintaining and grooming of a ski trail. This is reportedly the largest verdict for a recreational ski case in the State of Vermont.
- $1,500,000 – Recovery for failure to warn of dangers in a recreational diving accident.
- $1,100,000 – Recovery for the wrongful death of a 68 year old female pedestrian.
- $1,000,000 – Recovery for delay in diagnosing and treating cancer.
- $1,000,000 – Recovery for failure to adequately monitor a hospitalized patient.
- $1,000,000 – Recovery for failure to monitor a hospitalized patient.
- $750,000 – Settlement for a motorcyclist who suffered a broken leg due to the failure of a motorist to maintain a proper lookout.
- $750,000 – Recovery for failure of an anesthesiologist to provide adequate care.
Alan has also had scores of verdicts and settlements ranging from $100,000 to $850,000. For a more complete list please click here.